Skip to main content

About sports-active


On Monday 6th of August 2018, I was asked to help coach Goalball to a group of other sports coaches who were unsure about the rules and techniques of the game, both of which are required to have an understanding of the sport and to ensure that it is coached safely.

Goalball is a Paralympic sport which is designed especially for blind and partially sighted participants.

Firstly, I asked the coaches how much they understood about Goalball, which helped me get a better understanding about their level of knowledge of the sport. I then introduced them to the basic techniques of defending and attacking as well as explaining the most important rules.

As well as providing them with demonstrations, I also showed the coaches a You Tube video which is a good source of information.

Other examples of how I helped the coaches were:


1.   Looking at the correct positions on court to play Goalball.


2.   Identified different ways of ways of how to attack by rolling the ball during a game.


3.   Identified the correct way of defending in Goalball.


4.   Identified the correct way of guiding visually impaired people.


5.   Gave ideas on fun warm-up games.


These are some of the ways in which I helped the coaches gain a better understanding of this sport. I also encouraged them to discuss what I was teaching them to make sure they understood my instructions.


Comments

  1. Great support Abdul especially when we didn’t have our regular coach and you filled in and took a great session,
    Safe Haven is looking forward to seeing you again

    ReplyDelete
  2. Abdul has supported us greatly with creating a Disability Football Focus Group

    Details are below:-

    • The purpose of the Disability Football Focus Group is to attract people with disabilities to improve access to football for all in London. Football is all about enjoyment and self-fulfilment, yet the number of disabled people being involved in the sport has declined.
    • We want to change all that! We want to change attitudes. We want to change perceptions. We want to change experiences for the better.
    • Whether it be football coaching, refereeing, admin roles or just simply playing for a team – we’d like to get disability participation numbers back up! For that to happen, we’d like your help!
    • If it’s you or anyone within your organisation that has had experiences in football participation – whether that be previous or ongoing, then we’d like to hear from them!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Baseball and Softball

On Friday 27 th of July I attended the Disability Sports Coach Summer Festival event where I helped new coaches who had provided me with an introduction to baseball and softball. This game is an excellent way to hep people with all mixed abilities and disabilities. I found myself supporting people with mixed abilities and disabilities to play and understand how the inclusive game of softball and baseball is played. I had so much fun supporting the coaches who were at that event    as they were explaining how to play and coach the game, which had a positive influence on the way I am able to coach those types of games. I have a disability which really impressed them so much, as I do not let it show and this is great opportunity to share with others. I would not let this affect me and I started to help them in the best way I know how, I helped encourage them to come and join in with the sport.
                                                My Blog on GLL I will   be starting with GLL soon as I am very excited to get more experience with them which allow my confidence to grow and become more proactive within the sports and leisure industry. . I will be employed as a multi- sports coach and I will   be based in The Royal Borough of Greenwich where I will be coaching people of all ages and ability. I will be working in schools. Colleges, leisure centres and other community settings. I will be an excellent asset to GLL’S community team and   I am really excited and raring to go! For more information on GLL, Please visit or contact the community manager or you can   email Anthony jones at. Anthony Jones (Community Sports Manager) Anthony.Jones2@GLL.ORG Www.gll.org .